The dreaded message: "Timeout expired while waiting...."

yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Fri, 22 Aug 2003 21:37:00 -0600

I bought the full version of YDL 2.3 many months ago, including the month of
support, and we were never really able to get either of the machines (Power Mac
7200, Power Center 150) to fully work, despite many messages back between myself
and the support staff at Yellow Dog.  Eventually they offered to give me YDL 3,
but it doesn't matter.  The most common problems are...

Can't get the dialup internet to work
Can't mount a floppy
Can't mount a Zip disk
Can't play a music CD

I will continue my lament by saying that YDL is nowhere ready to be released to
the general public.  I am no technical wizard, but I have used computers since
1972, and Macs since 1990 or so, and if I can't figure it out, there is no way it
is ready to be sold to the general public.  Mr. Staats' testimonial of how his
aged, computer illiterate, father was able to properly install YDL cannot be
true.

OK, all of my bitching aside, let's see if we can solve at least one problem at a
time...I have not been able to get either machine to work with YDL 2.3 or 3.0 and
dial-up internet.  There is nothing wrong with the machine (in this case the
Power Center 150) or the ISP, as I can dial up easily with Mac OS 9.1 and the
modem I have (a relatively new Zoom 56K external modem).

I go under Kppp, and select ttyS0 as the device, and Kppp queries the modem
properly.  I put in the proper phone number, login name, password, etc., and it
properly dials up the ISP, apparently gives my login and password properly, but
then fails to complete the deal, and I get the dreaded "Timeout expired while
waiting for the PPP interface...." message.

I've tried whatever toggles were available to me under Kppp, but I always get the
same result.  I should say that it was the same error message under YDL 2.3, and
also with the Power Mac 7200.  I've also tried other modems, with the same error
message.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

RJ Goos

YDL.net - The online community for Yellow Dog Linux users