The dreaded message: "Timeout expired while waiting...."

Mark Griffin yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Fri, 22 Aug 2003 11:58:28 +0000

On Fri, 22 Aug 2003 21:37:00 -0600
rjgoos@ydl.net wrote:

> I go under Kppp, and select ttyS0 as the device, and Kppp queries the modem
> properly.  I put in the proper phone number, login name, password, etc., and it
> properly dials up the ISP, apparently gives my login and password properly, but
> then fails to complete the deal, and I get the dreaded "Timeout expired while
> waiting for the PPP interface...." message.
>
> I've tried whatever toggles were available to me under Kppp, but I always get the
> same result.  I should say that it was the same error message under YDL 2.3, and
> also with the Power Mac 7200.  I've also tried other modems, with the same error
> message.
	Have you tried either the redhat network configuration program(type neat as root from an xterm) or Wvdial?
	Wvdial is an inteligent program in that each time it tries to figure out the best way to connect you. Wvdial is what I use. I have problems with kppp.

Mark Griffin