Reading hfs+ partition

Clinton MacDonald yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Sat, 23 Aug 2003 11:44:41 -0500

Michael:

(Once again, I have knowledge of this because I only just reached this
point in my own Linux learning curve :-) .)

On Saturday, August 23, 2003, at 10:25  AM, Michael Powell wrote:
> Is there another way to get to my hfs+ partition other than
> recompiling the kernel?

To which Tobey Wheelock replied:
> Mac on Linux (mol)

Mac On Linux is truly *great*, but doesn't *exactly* allow you to
access the HFS+ partition from the Linux side (you cannot copy and
paste between the environments, for instance). My own solution has been
to have two Mac partitions: one HFS+ in which I have installed Mac OS
9.1, and a second HFS for file exchanges. Using MOL, I can work on a
file and save it to my exchange HFS partition. Then, I unmount the
partition ("Put Away" in Macintosh parlance, or drag it to the Trash),
switch over to YDL (control-option-F7), mount the HFS partition ("mount
/mnt/macos" or use a utility like kdf), and work on the file in Linux.

It is *extremely* important that the hfs exchange partition be
unmounted from one environment before mounting in the other, and vice
versa (I found this out the hard way :-/ ). As a trick, on the Mac OS
side, I made an alias on the Desktop of the HFS partition so that I
could remount it at will.

This might solve some of your HFS+ problems.

Best wishes,
Clint

--
Dr. Clinton C. MacDonald | <mailto:clint.macdonald@ttuhsc.edu>