Reading hfs+ partition

Tobey Wheelock yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Sat, 23 Aug 2003 13:51:25 -0400

> My own solution has been
> to have two Mac partitions: one HFS+ in which I have installed Mac OS
> 9.1, and a second HFS for file exchanges. Using MOL, I can work on a
> file and save it to my exchange HFS partition. Then, I unmount the
> partition ("Put Away" in Macintosh parlance, or drag it to the Trash),
> switch over to YDL (control-option-F7), mount the HFS partition ("mount
> /mnt/macos" or use a utility like kdf), and work on the file in Linux.
>
> It is *extremely* important that the hfs exchange partition be
> unmounted from one environment before mounting in the other, and vice
> versa (I found this out the hard way :-/ ). As a trick, on the Mac OS
> side, I made an alias on the Desktop of the HFS partition so that I
> could remount it at will.

This is a good solution.

Another option, which I forgot to mention before, is to use the "hp
utilities" (not sure what they're really called) like hpmount, hpcopy,
hpls, etc.

I definitely recommend hpmounting read-only if you use this method,
since I once inadvertently rendered a disk unreadable this way.

Tobey Wheelock