Find running apps on hard drive

Tobey Wheelock yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Sun, 24 Aug 2003 19:04:53 -0400

On Sun, Aug 24, 2003 at 05:32:26PM -0500, Clinton MacDonald wrote:
> Many applications are available through the kicker menu in Yellow Dog
> Linux, but others can be had through simple commands. How do I
> determine the true name and location of an application I can only
> activate through the kicker or through other means?

One way:
Go to Preferences-->Configure Panel. Click on Menus and then Edit K Menu.
Navigate to the app you're curious about and it will show you the
command that it's called with.

> I have several times wanted to do this, but here is one example: the
> Mozilla browser has a rather nice component called Composer for
> graphical creation of Web pages. I would like to load Composer directly
> (perhaps from the command line) without having to bring up Mozilla
> Navigator first (this might be a bad example if Composer and Navigator
> are too intimately combined).

Most apps, if you call them from the command line, have a --help or -help
or -h option that will show you parameters you can use. For instance,
mozilla -help. (But in this case, I think you have to edit your
preferences once mozilla is running. Maybe create a different profile
that starts only Composer? Not sure because I have uninstalled
moz 1.2.1 and can't get 1.4 or 1.5a running at the moment.)

HTH,
Tobey