Find running apps on hard drive

Clinton MacDonald yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Mon, 25 Aug 2003 09:43:58 -0500

Friends:

Many thanks to Janus Sandsgaard <lister@janus.dk>, Patrick Gast
<pgast@pgast.com>, Bradley Martin <novacrook@yahoo.com>, and Tobey
Wheelock <tobey@wheelockweb.com> for their answers to my recent
questions. Mr. Martin's answer illustrates my conundrum, though:

On Monday, August 25, 2003, at 01:10  AM, Bradley Martin wrote:
>> If you are looking for the location of an application you can find it
>> using the "locate" command in the terminal, all though you often geta
>> long list of directories and files related to that program.
>
> isn't this what the 'which' command is for? but then i guess you have
> to already know the name of the command huh?

Last week I was hunting for the program "KDiskFree" that is available
in the kicker menu. Every variation of "whereis," "locate," and "which"
failed to turn up anything for "KDiskFree." Well, it turns out that the
reason is that the true name of "KDiskFree" is "kdf" (all lower case).
There is no way, short of a brute force search for everything in every
directory starting  with the letter "K" or "k," that would reveal that
fact.

While KDiskFree was running, I tried the "top" command, and it told me
that the "top" process was using 1.9% of my CPU load, and little else
of use. It was only in reading the "About" box in the Help menu that I
got my clue that "KDiskFree" was really "kdf." Sheesh! Is this just a
Linux Thing(TM), and I should resign myself to the mystery?

There must be a better way!

(Thank you for your indulgence.)

Best wishes,
Clint