Orinoco-Airport-DNS problem

yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Wed, 27 Aug 2003 16:28:56 +0100

You will have to configure the DHCP server on the Access Point (Airport) to
send the correct nameservers to its DHCP clients. The Airport documentation
should tell you how to do that. Make sure your wireless interface on
Powerbook G3 is using DHCP.

Dhiraj

-----Original Message-----
From: Arne Rietsch [mailto:arne.rietsch@verizon.net]
Sent: 27 August 2003 02:41
To: yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Subject: Orinoco-Airport-DNS problem

Hi!

I just installed YDL 3.0 on my old Powerbook G3 (Wallstreet) and have
been trying to get networking to go. I'm using an Orinoco Wireless card
to try to connect to an Airport network.
I've managed to get the PCMCIA modules loaded, and networking works,
with one glaring exception. DNS lookup doesn't work. The problem seems
to be that the basestation doesn't communicate the correct IP address
for the DNS server. The resolv.config file lists the DNS server as
10.0.0.1, the IP address of the base station. If I change the
resolv.config file to the one I got while connecting the DSL line
directly to the Ethernet port (a configuration under which networking
works flawlessly), DNS lookup works. So somewhere along the line, the
IP address of the DNS server doesn't get passed along.

How do I correct this problem?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks.

Arne