Wallstreet install/boot/screen problems

Suzanne Payne yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Wed, 05 Feb 2003 22:37:59 -0000

--On Tuesday, February 4, 2003 7:58 pm -0700 Dan Burcaw
<dburcaw@terrasoftsolutions.com> wrote:

> Look in /etc/X11/XF86Config-4.  Which "Driver" are you using?
> Either 'fbdev' or 'ati'.  Try the one you're not using.

Hi, thanks for this suggestion.  The extant one was fbdev so I changed it
to ati (it does claim to have an ATI Mach64 card in it).  Unfortunately
startx then completely crashed me back to the command line.  The log file
talked endlessly of ranges being out of sync and always had a couple of
strange corrupted bands across it.  Never seen anything like that.  Finally
it declared it could find screens but none of them was in range.  But the
good news is that my LCD screen was perfectly legible when I was dumped
back into the command line!

I put the driver back to fbdev and X started up with no problems (no
mention in the log of anything being out of sync this time)...but...my LCD
screen was whiter than a white thing!  Looked fab on the external monitor
though.

I'm reaching the conclusion it's a specific Wallstreet (crappy 12" LCD
version) problem: even with just the command line when the screen 'wakes
up' after it's gone to sleep it also comes up white.  Again, it stays white
then until the machine is rebooted, whereup it miraculously returns to
normality and I have a happly little normally coloured smiling mac.  Under
MacOs (9 or X) the screen's colour is normal when it wakes up.  Is YDL/X
Windows taking some setting from the Open Firmware or PRAM?  But I guess if
that was the case the external monitor would also be white, and it's not.
The only time I get the same 'white' screen under MacOs is if I reset the
PRAM, but then once I've adjusted the contrast and brightness buttons (not
mapped under YDL), it remembers the settings.  Puzzling... :(

Suzanne