Wallstreet install/boot/screen problems

Dan Burcaw yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
05 Feb 2003 22:52:43 -0700

> Hi, thanks for this suggestion.  The extant one was fbdev so I changed it
> to ati (it does claim to have an ATI Mach64 card in it).  Unfortunately
> startx then completely crashed me back to the command line.  The log file
> talked endlessly of ranges being out of sync and always had a couple of
> strange corrupted bands across it.  Never seen anything like that.  Finally
> it declared it could find screens but none of them was in range.  But the
> good news is that my LCD screen was perfectly legible when I was dumped
> back into the command line!

Hrmm.. you could try adding right below the 'ati' line (change it back
to ati)

Option "UseFBDev"

If this doesn't work, go ahead and use fbdev as your driver.

> I put the driver back to fbdev and X started up with no problems (no
> mention in the log of anything being out of sync this time)...but...my LCD
> screen was whiter than a white thing!  Looked fab on the external monitor
> though.
>
> I'm reaching the conclusion it's a specific Wallstreet (crappy 12" LCD
> version) problem: even with just the command line when the screen 'wakes
> up' after it's gone to sleep it also comes up white.  Again, it stays white
> then until the machine is rebooted, whereup it miraculously returns to
> normality and I have a happly little normally coloured smiling mac.  Under
> MacOs (9 or X) the screen's colour is normal when it wakes up.  Is YDL/X
> Windows taking some setting from the Open Firmware or PRAM?  But I guess if
> that was the case the external monitor would also be white, and it's not.
> The only time I get the same 'white' screen under MacOs is if I reset the
> PRAM, but then once I've adjusted the contrast and brightness buttons (not
> mapped under YDL), it remembers the settings.  Puzzling... :(

What's interesting, is I personally have installed YDL on the 12"
Wallstreet. This is the 800x600 guy, right?  Try the above, and let's
see what happens.