Video issues with YDL 2.3

Dan Burcaw yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
05 Feb 2003 22:57:56 -0700

> 1: How do I get Xconfigurator to change the monitor's real dimensions, not the
> virtual ones?  Does Xconfigurator use /etc/fb.modes?  Can I use fbset with X?

Only select one resolution in Xconfigurator.  It does not directly use
fb.modes.

You can, however, derive a config from your fbset resolution.

E.g.  fbset to 800x600 then run Xautoconfig4.  Xautoconfig is a tool
that creates an X config from the framebuffer's current running modes.

Each time you set a new mode with fbset, and you want this to correspond
to X, re-run Xautoconfig4.  Caveats: You will need re-startx after
running Xautoconfig4 for changes to take effect. Also, Xautoconfig4
defaults to 8 bit per pixel color. This probably is not optimal for you,
so edit /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 and manually change the default depth.

> 2: How do I set my command line environment to default to a different mode?

Do you mean video resolution? You could either put a fbset command in
/etc/rc.d/rc.local, or control this via kernel video arguments that you
can pass via BootX or yaboot (depending on which you are using).  Tell
me what video card you have and what resolution you'd like console to
run and I can give you a tip on what kernel argument to pass.

> 3: On a different topic, I note there's a directory /mnt/macos that I did not
> create.  What does YDL use that for?

We don't use it for anything. Think of it as a "stub" for folks to use
to mount their HFS standard partitions.  Some of us used to mount our
MacOS partitions on /mnt/cdrom and this just seemed wrong! :-)

-Dan