Video issues with YDL 2.3

Greg Dougherty yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Fri, 7 Feb 2003 18:10:57 -0800

On 2/5/03, Dan Burcaw <dburcaw@terrasoftsolutions.com> writes:

>> 1: How do I get Xconfigurator to change the monitor's real
>> dimensions, not the virtual ones?  Does Xconfigurator use
>> /etc/fb.modes?  Can I use fbset with X?
>
> Only select one resolution in Xconfigurator.  It does not directly
> use fb.modes.

I do only select one.  However, X seems determined to stick with the one I
selected when installing YDL, and treats all the settings I've made since then
as modifications to the virtual monitor, not my actual screen.

> You can, however, derive a config from your fbset resolution.
>
> E.g.  fbset to 800x600 then run Xautoconfig4.  Xautoconfig is a tool
> that creates an X config from the framebuffer's current running
> modes.
>
> Each time you set a new mode with fbset, and you want this to
> correspond to X, re-run Xautoconfig4.  Caveats: You will need
> re-startx after running Xautoconfig4 for changes to take effect.
> Also, Xautoconfig4 defaults to 8 bit per pixel color. This probably
> is not optimal for you, so edit /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 and manually
> change the default depth.

Cool.  Thank you, I will try that.

>> 2: How do I set my command line environment to default to a
>> different mode?
>
> Do you mean video resolution? You could either put a fbset command in
>/etc/rc.d/rc.local, or control this via kernel video arguments that
>/you
> can pass via BootX or yaboot (depending on which you are using).
> Tell me what video card you have and what resolution you'd like
> console to run and I can give you a tip on what kernel argument to
> pass.

An ATY XClaim 3D video card, BootX, and 800 x 600 seems like the right
resolution for the console.
Thanks.

>> 3: On a different topic, I note there's a directory /mnt/macos that
>> I did not create.  What does YDL use that for?
>
> We don't use it for anything. Think of it as a "stub" for folks to
> use to mount their HFS standard partitions.  Some of us used to
> mount our MacOS partitions on /mnt/cdrom and this just seemed wrong!
> :-)

You're right, that's evil. :-)

TIA,

Greg