Why YDL? Why Linux? Why YDL instead of OS X?

yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Sat, 8 Feb 2003 07:45:54 -0700

Perhaps an odd set of questions.  I belong to a small Mac club, and the members
know I'm fooling around with YDL on an old PM 7200, so I imagine it's only a
matter of time before I'm asked to demonstrate YDL at a club meeting.

I'm sure I'd be asked...why mess around with YDL, since OS X is now BSD-based?
I've got one answer:  runs on several pre-G3 machines...but what else could I
offer?  Why would anyone use YDL, for example, on an iMac, since OS X is
available?

As for me, I am experimenting with YDL on this old 7200 simply to get myself
introduced to the world of Linux/Unix, on a machine that has no other purpose.
If I screw something up and accidently erase the hard drive...nothing lost but
time.  I wouldn't dare experiment with my iMac at work, or my wife's iMac here at
home.

Jay

YDL.net - The online community for Yellow Dog Linux users