Why YDL? Why Linux? Why YDL instead of OS X?

Suzanne Payne yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Sat, 08 Feb 2003 15:20:03 -0000

--On Saturday, February 8, 2003 7:45 am -0700 rjgoos@ydl.net wrote:

> I'm sure I'd be asked...why mess around with YDL, since OS X is now
> BSD-based?   I've got one answer:  runs on several pre-G3 machines...but
> what else could I  offer?

Yup I'd agree with that one.  I've tried getting NetBSD (my chums more
knowledgable than I are BSD snobs, so that was what I started with!) to
install on older macs with little success.  YDL does seem to be easy peesy
to install!  I'm toying with trying it on a nubus machine (8100)...just
*because*!!!  Let's face it, if you've been involved with macs for some
time, you'll have a store cupboard full of 'redundant' machines, which all
work perfectly well, and it's a crime to chuck 'em. (I have a particular
fondness for 6100s....)  Old PeeCees can be easily pressed into doing
something useful via Linux (a Pentium 166Mhz is acting as my
firewall/router as I type) and it's great that I can now use my old macs as
well.

> Why would anyone use YDL, for example, on an
> iMac, since OS X is   available?
> As for me, I am experimenting with YDL on this old 7200 simply to get
> myself  introduced to the world of Linux/Unix, on a machine that has no
> other purpose.   If I screw something up and accidently erase the hard
> drive...nothing lost but  time.  I wouldn't dare experiment with my iMac
> at work, or my wife's iMac here at  home.

Mhmmm...yup.  I agree with that too.  My Wallstreet is an experimental
machine for me to 'play' with unix and if I screw it up, I just reformat.
The Wallstreet, like an iMac, will run OSX perfectly well, but the reason
I'm trying YDL on it is because there's BSD, there's Darwin, and there's
OSX!  OSX still (despite sourceforge's best efforts) locks things, or
simply doesn't support third party stuff.  The one that I'm struggling with
at the moment is third party wireless cards.  The pre-airport macs all have
to have third party wireless cards, which are unsupported by pure OSX, and
rarely (ever?) come with OSX compliant drivers.  Linux has been around
longer than OSX and there's a lot of stuff out there for it (and for BSD)
that simply won't compile under OSX (let me qualify that....there's a lot
of stuff that *I* can't compile under OSX!).  And it's worth installing
Linux for Mahjongg alone!! :)

Don't get me wrong, I'm very fond of OSX (you know you're becoming a unix
geek when then one thing you really, really miss under OS9 is the
terminal!) but with each different OS I play with I learn new things:
sometimes unintentionally...my week long effort to install NetBSD on the
Wallstreet and a Beige G3 meant I learned more than I ever wanted to about
Open Firmware!  With each update of OSX there's been a noticable decrease
in speed on my old G3s (10.1.5 to 10.2.3 was really quite a step), so for
the older OSX compatible machines, they may not be able to keep up soon,
but YDL flies.

Fundamentally, they're simply different beasts.  Why should you install
both?  Because you *can*.

Just my 2p!
Suzanne