Why OS X instead of YDL?

MHZ yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Mon, 10 Feb 2003 16:38:39 -0300

--Apple-Mail-10-26726273

You are right about that!

I've had the same problem. Trying to touch OSX is much more difficult!
But I you don't mean to touch it, OSX works just fine!

On Monday, February 10, 2003, at 03:47 PM, John van Vlaanderen wrote:

> [...]
>> have a very similar (like Mac users) look on their faces: THEY WERE
>> HAPPY and felt cool because they have a real powerful and stable OS.
>>
>> Of course after working (trying to, actually) for 6 years with MS
>> Windows, then 2 with OS9 and X (which works perfectly, so far) I had
>> to give Linux a try.
>>
>> Linux is wonderful. So is Mac. Then I see all this just like Linux is
>> the Old brother and OSX is the young one. Though, there is a lot they
>> both have to learn from each other.
>>
>> I mean, WHY NOT USE THE COOLEST SYSTEMS??? and have what is best from
>> 2 worlds.
>>
>> On Sunday, February 9, 2003, at 02:11 PM, John van Vlaaderen wrote:
>>
>>> Hate to say it.. but Windozer probably has all of these apps too,
>>> and maybe even better ones.
>>>
>>> While microsoft is nasty there is a lot of support out there for it
>>> from the community.
>>>
>>> Mac users tend to be snobs brainwashed into thinking that apple has
>>> set them free, haha
>>>
>>> Free like communism, not free beer !!
>>> (I am so sick)

>>> CXN, Inc. Contact: john@thinman.com
>>> President, The Linux Society
>>> http://groups.yahoo.com/group/linux-society/join
>>> linux society distro -> http://www.thinman.com/eLSD/readme
>>> ThinMan is a registered trademark of CXN, Inc.
--Apple-Mail-10-26726273

You are right about that!

I've had the same problem. Trying to touch OSX is much more difficult!

But I you don't mean to touch it, OSX works just fine!

The past 24 hours have been wasted just trying to get this iMac up
again.

Why, I have to have a low wattage fanless system, and its the only one
I have.

Maybe OpenDarwin is a good way to go, as you say the OS is a cousin of
Linux.

But the Apple product is a liability.  The root file system, native
Mac, has been corrupted at least 3 times and finally died yesterday.

I called Mac while I was still in warranty and they told me to buy
Jaguar.

Thats not what I wanted to hear, they should offer bug fixes if they
charge for the s/w.

Finally I did install Jag with the Unix F/S but I still cant resize
partitions to add linux.  On linux  this is absolute cake.

Some apps esp Mozilla have to run on a HFS partition  -- more problems.

I tried to put YDL and also Debian PPC on another old PC disk but the
mac-mkfs command seemed to make a bogus partition table -- another
subject.  I would like to get linux up on this box -- but I think I
need a brand new disk.  This is my webserver so I dont have the option
to experiment.  Old macs are too slow and new ones are prohibitive.

As sucky as x86 systems are... well, they are cost effective.

And.. to get root access on Jag, I had to reboot w/ the cdrom.  They
really dont want you touching "their" system !!

Anyway, I hope Jag works -- not holding my breath tho.

<excerpt>Ok, this is just what I thought when I read the subject of
this mail:

Well, I first tried YDL because I didn't want to use Microsoft Office.
I had tried OpenOffice beta version and it was pretty boring,
specially after being used to nice GUI's.

I didn't know anything about Linux at all. But Linux users seemed to
have a very similar (like Mac users) look on their faces: THEY WERE
HAPPY and felt cool because they have a real powerful and stable OS.

Of course after working (trying to, actually) for 6 years with MS
Windows, then 2 with OS9 and X (which works perfectly, so far) I had
to give Linux a try.

Linux is wonderful. So is Mac. Then I see all this just like Linux is
the Old brother and OSX is the young one. Though, there is a lot they
both have to learn from each other.

I mean, WHY NOT USE THE COOLEST <bold>SYSTEMS</bold>??? and have what
is best from 2 worlds.

<excerpt>Hate to say it.. but Windozer probably has all of these apps
too, and maybe even better ones.

While microsoft is nasty there is a lot of support out there for it
from the community.

Mac users tend to be snobs brainwashed into thinking that apple has
set them free, haha

Free like communism, not free beer !!

(I am so sick)

<excerpt>A reversal of the question is also illuminating.  Why OSX
instead of YDL?  Only one thing: Graphics.  Simply, it is a nice
platform for use for Visual Art.  If linux (or wintel) had FCP,
Lightwave, After Effects and Photoshop in a <bold>seamlessly
integrated environment</bold> I'd dump MacOS.  But then I would also
dump PPC.  I'd get a cheap AMD box, and a free LinuxOS.  AU$2500 for a
screaming system vs AU$3000 for a slow G4!

So really the question is: If no OSX then why YDL/PPC?

Nils

PS: Hey come to think of it Linux has Film Gimp and Maya doesn't it?
Is there a compositor and an editor for it too?  Do Shake and Avid run
on it?

<excerpt><excerpt>Perhaps an odd set of questions.  I belong to a