yellowdog-newbie digest, Vol 1 #358 - 6 msgs

yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Mon, 10 Feb 2003 16:34:41 -0600

Thanks for the reply.

> No problem to give some help...but did you read the "how to" before
> posting?

I had a printed copy of the YDL installation guide in hand throughout the installation. Everything was working fairly well, but I just posted to this list to clear up a few questions I had because of the deviations I made to the install guide. Mostly, I want to know WHY things happened, not whether or not they will again.

> Remember YDL is adviced to be 1st partition (AFTER the hda's 8 or 9,
> depending on what you have installed before). therefore you should back
> up all and re-install OS9 (mandatory 'coz u gotta use OS9 cd
> artitioning utility), OSX (could be later, thou). Specify XX Gb
> minimum 1,7 Gb) ALLOCATED for YDL, and WW Gb for Mac OS's.

I have a 10 GB drive: 2.75 GB is the first 'unallocated' partition for YDL (it was initially 3.5 GB, but I downsized it for my upcoming re-install). I then have 750 MB HFS+ for OS 9.2.2, and the rest (almost 6 GB) is an empty HFS+ partition for OS X.2. Does this sound right? It's definitely more correct than my first attempt.

(There's 11 kb left over, and I can't seem to add it to my OS X partition. This just bugs be ;) )

Initially, my 3.5 unallocated partition was first, followed by a single HFS+ partition for both Mac OSes, which is where things went bad, as far as I can tell. I wasn't expecting this, because the two Mac OSes always existed nicely on the same partition for me. I guess yaboot does things differently from what I'm used to.

> Take note of where partitiions are (hda 9, hda 10, etc).
> Then boot from YDL Cd's...

The YDL partition was the first on my initial install, and has been set up to be the first for my next install. I think I got this much right.

Oh, I think I also picked some bad options when I set my monitor resolution, etc, preferences during installation. My external monitor wouldn't work, but the built-in LCD looked fairly good, except for the 'white noise'.

Thanks for the help. At any cost, I think my second install will be a lot better than the first. Heh.