Why OS X instead of YDL?

Suzanne Payne yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Tue, 11 Feb 2003 09:29:56 -0000

--On Monday, February 10, 2003 1:47 pm -0500 John van Vlaanderen
<john-at-thinman@nyc.rr.com> wrote:

> Thats not what I wanted to hear, they should offer bug fixes if they
> charge for the s/w.

Hear hear!  10.1 should have been the first commercial relase and 10.2 is a
bug fix!

> And.. to get root access on Jag, I had to reboot w/ the cdrom.  They
> really dont want you touching "their" system !!

In netinfo manager you select "enable root access" (having first unlocked
the little padlock).  The earlier releases of X you did have to hack the
system to get root, but Apple have given in to that pressure.  AFAIK you
only need to boot from the CD if you've forgotten the root password and you
want to reset it.

Suzanne