first time YDL

Smith-Rowland, Edward M yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Tue, 11 Feb 2003 12:52:24 -0500

IIRC YDL came with both 2.4.19 and 2.2.22 I think.  I seem to remember some
dialog during install that asked which one.

-----Original Message-----
From: A K [mailto:popisdead@hotmail.com]
Sent: Monday, February 10, 2003 5:19 PM
To: yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Subject: first time YDL

Hi,

I've got an Umax J700 w/ XLR8 G3 400MHz, 184MB ram, Voodoo3 and a few HD's.

It is running 9.1 and I use it heavily for my recording studio.

I plan to install YDL linux (seems to be the peoples choice of mac linux
distro's now) and gui or text based doesn't matter much as I've done both.

I've installed the 1999PPC linux on it before but I was really unhappy with
it at the time.

Right now though I could really use a Linux system with some good
development tools (PTHREADS, perl, gcc, etc) for school work.  Pthreads
would be pretty important for my OS course.

I've also installed Suse 6.1 on an old P-133 so I'm a bit familiar with
installing Linux.

I want to install it on a 2GB Hard Drive and I would like to know if there
are any big caveats I should know before going ahead here.

In the list archives there are topics discussing problems with recent
kernals and the old world machines.  I downloaded the 2.3 .iso but there
doesn't seem to be much mention of which kernal it uses.

Thanks!

-Andrew