floppy is not detected

kaos yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
12 Feb 2003 18:02:44 -0600

On Tue, 2003-02-11 at 21:18, Scott Burch wrote:
> I looked into /etc/fstab and the standard Apple internal floppy on my 9500 is
> not detected -- there is no entry for it. How do  I make the YDL 2.3 I have
> see the floppy drive?
>
> thanks  ##  scott

Assuming that /dev/fd0 is the correct device file to access your floppy,
you could insert a line into /etc/fstab that looks like this

/dev/fd0	/mnt/floppy	ext2	defaults,noauto		0   0
		(^ be sure this directory has been created beforehand)

This actually does not make your linux system "see" the floppy drive.
This merely makes it slightly easier to mount a floppy disk after
inserting it into the floppy drive. You will still need to issue the
'mount' command to mount your floppy. A normal mount command, assuming
there was no entry in the /etc/fstab file for the floppy device would
look like this:

mount -t ext2 /dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy (again, assuming the /mnt/floppy
directory already exists)

After adding the entry in the /etc/fstab file I showed above, the
'mount' command is simplified a little. You can now issue this command:

mount /mnt/floppy

This is because the mount command checks the /etc/fstab file and sees
that an entry contains the directory "/mnt/floppy" and therefore uses
this entry to determine the device path (/dev/fd0) and the filesystem
type (ext2), as well as any options for the device (defaults,noauto).

Of course, if you're trying to mount a floppy that has been created
using a filesystem of a type other than ext2, you'll need to specify
this with the 'mount' command, as in:

mount -t vfat /dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy

Hope this cleared things up.

--[kaos] - kaos@staticusers.net  |