mounting hfs for shared partition

Suzanne Payne yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Fri, 14 Feb 2003 10:21:13 -0000

--On Friday, February 14, 2003 4:51 am -0500 Elliott G Williams
<elliottw@MIT.EDU> wrote:

>> i just installed ydl and 10.2 and want to create a shared parition. i
> created a mac os x extended partition with osx disk utility (which ydl
> recognized as hfs)
>
> i boot into ydl and try mount -t hfs /dev/hda10 (which is the partition)
> and see what happens.
>
> for some reason i never get the contents of my parition (i have stuff on
> there from the mac side). all i get is Desktop DB Finder, a Readme file
> which basically says that ydl is too old of an mac os to read the
> partition and thats about it.

This is the message you get when you try to mount an hfs+ partition on a
non-hfs+ compliant OS (um...MacOS 8.0 and before I think).  It sounds like
the partition is hfs+, but YDL is/can only see it as hfs.  Try reformatting
the partition as just hfs (after first copying your mac stuff off!).

Conversely, and I have no idea here because I've never tried it, but the
command you typed in actually specifies just hfs:

mount -t hfs /dev/hda10

Maybe try:

mount -t hfs+ /dev/hda10

Suzanne