YDL to use Win98 modem connection?

Suzanne Payne yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Tue, 18 Feb 2003 09:18:06 -0000

--On Monday, February 17, 2003 9:54 pm -0800 Randall Payne
<randall_payne@emaildownunder.com> wrote:

> Hi list,
>
> I have a win98 pc with a 'win modem', I also have a PPC with YDL (no
> modem).
>
> I have networked the two pcs together and can ping from one to the other.
>
> The next thing I want to do is to share the win98 modem connection with
> the YDL PPC.  I have searched "How To's " and archived lists and can only
> find directions for connection sharing the other way around using IP
> masqerading.
>
> Can anyone point me in the right direction to share a Win98 modem
> connection with the YDL PPC?

If the Win98 machine is the one with the modem, then you need to look at
Win98 sites for info on connection sharing!  I believe you just set the YDL
machine up to use the Win98 as the router and DNS:

Say the Win98 machine has the IP: 192.168.1.1
The YDL machine has the following network settings:

IP: 192.168.1.2
SubnetMask: 255.255.255.0
Router: 192.168.1.1
DNS: 192.168.1.1

I have no idea how to setup Win98 for connection sharing.  The info above
is based on my system which has a Linux box acting as a router/gateway.

Suzanne