So New I have an Umbillical Cord

Nick yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Sat, 22 Feb 2003 20:29:37 +0000

Hi again everyone.

Progress today has been minimal owing to work commitments I can really
see how this thing could take over your life.

> But that is just the last resort, when it has become sure that your
> video hardware won't work well with XF4. You'll have tweak a few more
> things (mac keycodes vs. linuxkeycodes, keymaps, symlink to
> /dev/input/mice etc.) before you can use Xpmac, so I think it's a good
> idea to see whether you get XFree86 running, first.

Firstly, i ran that dexter.py thing again, and i decided to note what
it said. Apparently the setup detects a:

OFfb Mac OS display

Does this mean it has the potential to run with tweaking. if so what
tweaking will i then need to do?

> But I can't tell you more without knowing the video hardware of your
> PPC 9600.

Is there any easy and definite way of running a diagnostic? I can't see
anything in system profiler on os 8.6.

Also, bizarrely I just managed to get it to operate but gain wth poor
unusable quality. Having run the dexter thing, I selected my monitor
(its the one thing i can't get wrong its written on the front) 800*600
resolution (one level lower than i know its capable of) and 256
colours. It worked but i can't use it in its current state. Also zero
recognition from the mouse, and in kernel 2.2 the sound mysteriously
vanishes. I know this last part of the message is a slight aside but, i
thought I'd mention it.

Thanks a lot for all your help again, its really appreciated, i guess i
should probably sign up for a proper care package.