Installing CUPS printer

Derick Centeno yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
26 Feb 2003 06:45:17 +0000

Hi Group:
I've been struggling to get CUPS to recognize my HP deskjet 6122
printer.  Installing it using the instructions regarding installing a
"local" printer doesn't work because the printtools application (which
comes with YDL 2.3) does not know that 6122 exists. Before I go ahead
and get the source of printtools and get all the other things together
necessary to rebuild it using make, etc so that it does recognize the
printer I figured to try to understand why CUPS is not seeing the
printer as a usb device.

The instructions say to enter lp0; but the USB bus in my system is an
installed PCI card, wouldn't Linux consider that location as different
than lp0?  So where or what command sequence do I use to tell Linux to
"look for which device the USB printer is actually at"?

I would appreciate some ideas as to how to proceed.  Thanks.