Netatalk and AppleTalk Printers

Rick Thomas yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Sat, 04 Jan 2003 00:08:12 -0500

Joe,

As I understand it, you have a PowerBook (running YDL 2.3) that connects to
the Internet using a PCMCIA modem, because the built-in modem doesn't work
with YDL (sigh...)  Self-same PowerBook has an Ethernet port which you are
attempting to use to talk to your HP 4MP printer via AppleTalk (EtherTalk to
the Faralon iPrint, then LocalTalk to the 4MP)

You are concerned that "getzones" isn't seeing any zones.  Don't be.  There
aren't any zones to see.  You've got a simple AppleTalk network with no
routers, hence no need for zones, hence no zones.

On the other hand, nbplkup isn't seeing the printer.  That's a problem.  You
can't print to it if you can't see it!  As somebody else said, try
restarting the atalk service with the printer up.  See if that helps.

You should also check to see if the Ethernet interface is up.
Use "ifconfig -a" and look to see if the "eth0" interface is up and speaking
EtherTalk.  If not, you need to configure the network interface stuff, which
is  (probably) in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 .

There may be a GUI for doing network configuration.  I'm not sure.  Does
anybody out there know for sure?

Ask again if that doesn't help.

Rick

on 1/3/03 1:08 PM, Joe Villari at joev_nylxs@pipeline.com wrote:

> nathan r. hruby wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 3 Jan 2003, Joe Villari wrote:
>>
>>> I'm trying to set up my HP 4MP printer with my TI PowerBook and YDL 2.3.
>>> The printer connects to the computer via ethernet. The printer has a
>>> serial to ethernet adapter to a hub and the comtupter plugs right into
>>> the hub. Works fine from Mac OS.
>>>

>> Please describe the serial -> ethernet dongle.  Is it a print server like
>> device?  If so, it probably has support for LPR printing (you should
>> investigate this) so you can print directly to the printer using the
>> standard printing tools under YDL.
>>
> It is a Farallon ethernet iprint adapter. Basically, the old style apple
> print port is contected to a cable which connects to the adapter, the
> other side of the adapter is an ethernet cable to the hub. Commonly used
> connect non-ethernet Mac printers to ethernet hubs for Mac networking.
>

>>> YDL 2.3 has netatalk running:
>>>
>>> Jan  3 01:04:54 localhost atalk: atalkd startup succeeded
>>> Jan  3 01:05:06 localhost atalk: papd startup succeeded
>>> Jan  3 01:05:06 localhost atalk: afpd startup succeeded
>>>
>>> According to YDL documentation I should be able to use MOL, go to the
>>> chooser and see the linux side. This doesn't happen. I'm not sure if  I
>>> need to configure the TCP/IP control panel or not; right now it's set
>>> for ppp but appletalk is set for ethernet.
>>>
>>> According to a howto (http://gdr.free.fr/linux2.html) I found, I should
>>> be able to use getzones to see my AppleTalk zones and nbplkup to see
>>> into the zones. Here are my results:
>>>
>>> [root@localhost joev]# getzones
>>> atp_rresp: Connection timed out
>>>
>>> [root@localhost joev]# nbplkup