Netatalk and AppleTalk Printers

Joe Villari yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Sat, 04 Jan 2003 13:25:10 +0000

 > Sorry I could have said it in one go...
 > your Device URI is
 > pap://HP LaserJet 4MP
 > I don't know if that works with these spaces...otherwise you have to
 > give it another name like Joeprinter under MacOS

I think this is the problem, I've tried evrything I know of this point
with the address. CUPS says the printer is idle and accepting jops, I
send the test page and all seems fine and it just does not print.

I have NO idea how to change my printer name. On Mac OS I went to
chooser, selected setup, printer info, see the name of the printer. I
opened the ppd file and found where the printer name was, edited it read
4MP and this didnot change the name of the printer in the chooser. I did
update info from the chooser and restarted to be sure. Changed the name
of the ppd to 4MP still the same result. Searched google, macworld and
HP's site for a howto or any documentation on how to do this; none
found. I did find several colleges that renamed their 4MP on the network
but can't find out how to do so.

If you or any one knows how, I'd be one HAPPY camper.

I even tried editing the print.conf and printcap files to read HP
LaserJet 4MP and "HP LaserJet 4MP", read some ldp docs about needing to
enclose in quotes if there were spaces in the name, still no good.

So close.

Thanks
Again
Joe