Is there a kind Samaritan in 423?

Beartooth yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Tue, 14 Jan 2003 11:26:14 -0500 (EST)

        I'm down here in area code 423 (East TN outside Knoxville
-- actually a little East of Newport), visiting kinfolk, trying to
use a new and flaky dialup; the ISP tech talked me through
connecting with OSX (which is driving me stark raving mad; can't
ever find anything, let alone do anything), and I can't seem to
make a linux connection out of it. (I run OSX 10.1.5 and
YellowDogLinux 2.3 on an iBook G3 from Terrasoft.)

	If anyone can help, please this once email me direct at
<karhunhammas (at) Lserv.com>. I can ssh into my usual shell
account at home for email, but have my subscriptions to both these
lists set on nomail till I get home, lest the bandwidth I can't get
to should bust my inbox quota.

	I tried just doing the obvious, and got nowhere. then I
hollered for help, and DanB kindly sent me to
http://www.yellowdoglinux.com/support/solutions/ydl_general/modem_dialup.shtml

        I've spent a day or so each with kppp and wvdial, just
trying one change after another. Once I got far enough to be told
it was initializing the modem, I thought I was getting places; but
the log just kept showing the same old stuff instead of the
expected responses. So I would abort and go back into setup.

        Then yesterday I made some one other change -- which might
have been putting the hyphen into the phone number. Now it gets to
about the same point as before -- and then suddenly both the kppp
window itself and the log window simply evaporate.I have to go
clear back to main menu and reopen kppp to try again.

        Well, I thought, maybe it's connecting at last, and just
not saying so. So I tried calling up web sites already in Konqueror
-- one every sixty seconds or so. "cannot find" every time, and not
afaik because of privoxy; that was working before.

        I'll test today by turning off the proxy (if it's on), and
by trying Opera and Galeon. But I'll be amazed if anything works.

        I also haven't tried ssh in a terminal, and maybe should: I
do my mail with pine in a shell account at an ISP in MD that I ssh
into.

        If there's a way I can get into the YDL partition with OSX,
to copy&paste logs or configurations, I don't know what it is....
--
RR 'Beartooth' Neuswanger <karhunhammas (at) lserv.com>
Double Retiree, Linuxer's Apprentice, Curmudgeon On Line