Installing Yellow Dog Linux on iMac

kaywan joseph mansubi yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Mon, 13 Jan 2003 18:56:11 -0800

Robert wrote:

I have problem with my iMac. When I boot into Mac OS CD and re-format the
hard drive into UNIX format and restart.

The computer screen appears with gray background with "?" mark on folder, I
tried to boot from Yellow Dog Linux CD and Mac OS CD, I am still getting
"?" mark.

My computer couldn't find CD driver or Hard Drive.
Do you have suggestion about this?

Thank you.

----

as per installation instructions, the partition for ydl should be formated as unallocated.
the mac os9 partition as standard and the osx partition extended. I had no problems with
a ydl installation on my iMac 333mhz with os 9.

remember to hold down the c key to boot from the ydl cdrom.

reference: http://www.yellowdoglinux.com/support/installation/guide.shtml

quote:

9. Select the first (top) partition and where the pull-down menu displays
"Mac OS Extended", select "unallocated". Select the second (bottom) partition
and then "Mac OS Standard".** If you are to install Mac OS X, the 3rd and
last partition should be formatted as "Mac OS Extended".

----
Kaywan