TS/YDL as own enemy??

Beartooth yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Sat, 18 Jan 2003 12:27:31 -0500 (EST)

	As some of you may recall, I've been beating my brains out
against kppp and wvdial for many days, trying to make this ibook --
on which I have both a virtually trouble-free wired dialup
connection (here) *and* a wireless DSL one (at home) under OSX --
connect under YDL.

	Last night came a thought -- long after it should've, no
doubt. When I slugged my way through the YDL manual, establishing
the wireless connection last fall under OSX, it very properly just
added that to the array of choices it presents for connecting,
after bootup and login. But when I then fought that configuration
onto the YDL partition, using both the manual and the indispensable
update to it in the ydl.net howto, it made it a default, and put it
into the boot sequence.

	To this day, YDL brings up both eth0 and then ppp1, without
even stopping for breath, at every boot.And OSX makes no connection
till I tell it.

	And no matter how I batter my electrons into insensibility,
tweaking myself blue in the face with kppp and wvdial, the machine
gets only as far as "Initializing modem" -- and then suddenly
reports failure, before OSX'd've had time to dial (over a pulse
line!), let alone negotiate the connection with the ISP.

	Question 1: is it failing because YDL *thinks* it has
broadband (even though there's no WiFi within miles)? I.e., does it
actually abort rather than fail, imagining it knows what I'm doing
better than I do?

	Question 2: if so, how do I obviate without losing the DHCP
wireless capability, the one I use most? Surely many if not most
laptop owners go crisscross among a variety of connections; one
would expect YDL to offer the same choices at the same point as
OSX, not by imitation, but because that's the sensible way.

	Plea 1: Please, for the love of sanity, tell me 3.0 is
going to do so, any day now! I *will* get back to broadband, I
*will* download, and I *will* upgrade -- if only in hope to escape
my routine kernel panics ...

	Question 3: Which way is electronically up, anyhow? <dismal
grin>

	Plea 2: Since I still have my subscriptions to these lists
set on nomail, till I get back to my broadband and can handle them,
please copy any responses direct to me at Lserv.com.TIA!

	 The One And Only Apple Interface (OAOAI) may be true
apostolic and salvation-bringing to those adept in the ilk, so that
they imagine it 'natural', 'easy', and even (God save the mark!)
'intuitive' because they're so used to it -- but it's a howling
desert to me.
--
Beartooth the Stubborn <karhunhammas (at) lserv.com>
double retiree, linuxers' apprentice, curmudgeon online