TS/YDL as own enemy??

Fred Laxton yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Sat, 18 Jan 2003 21:26:25 -0500

I can't help you with the modem problem, but I regularly switch between
ethernet and wireless, using a script.  I just set it up so that the
wireless connection starts up by default, which is what I normally use.

Here are the two scripts:

eth0.sh:

/sbin/ifconfig eth0 up
/sbin/ifconfig eth1 down
/sbin/route add default gw 192.168.0.1

wireless.sh:

/sbin/ifconfig eth0 down
/sbin/ifconfig eth1 192.168.0.5 netmask 255.255.255.0
/sbin/ifconfig eth1 up
/sbin/iwconfig eth1 mode Managed
/sbin/iwconfig eth1 essid xxxxxxxxxx
/sbin/iwconfig eth1 key xxxxxxxxxx
/sbin/iwconfig eth1 rate auto

I modified my /etc/rc.local to run wireless.sh when the computer boots.

HTH,

Fred

Beartooth wrote:
> 	As some of you may recall, I've been beating my brains out
> against kppp and wvdial for many days, trying to make this ibook --
> on which I have both a virtually trouble-free wired dialup
> connection (here) *and* a wireless DSL one (at home) under OSX --
> connect under YDL.
>
> 	Last night came a thought -- long after it should've, no
> doubt. When I slugged my way through the YDL manual, establishing
> the wireless connection last fall under OSX, it very properly just
> added that to the array of choices it presents for connecting,
> after bootup and login. But when I then fought that configuration
> onto the YDL partition, using both the manual and the indispensable
> update to it in the ydl.net howto, it made it a default, and put it
> into the boot sequence.
>
> 	To this day, YDL brings up both eth0 and then ppp1, without
> even stopping for breath, at every boot.And OSX makes no connection
> till I tell it.
>
> 	And no matter how I batter my electrons into insensibility,
> tweaking myself blue in the face with kppp and wvdial, the machine
> gets only as far as "Initializing modem" -- and then suddenly
> reports failure, before OSX'd've had time to dial (over a pulse
> line!), let alone negotiate the connection with the ISP.
>
> 	Question 1: is it failing because YDL *thinks* it has
> broadband (even though there's no WiFi within miles)? I.e., does it
> actually abort rather than fail, imagining it knows what I'm doing
> better than I do?
>
> 	Question 2: if so, how do I obviate without losing the DHCP
> wireless capability, the one I use most? Surely many if not most
> laptop owners go crisscross among a variety of connections; one
> would expect YDL to offer the same choices at the same point as
> OSX, not by imitation, but because that's the sensible way.
>
> 	Plea 1: Please, for the love of sanity, tell me 3.0 is
> going to do so, any day now! I *will* get back to broadband, I
> *will* download, and I *will* upgrade -- if only in hope to escape
> my routine kernel panics ...
>
> 	Question 3: Which way is electronically up, anyhow? <dismal
> grin>
>
> 	Plea 2: Since I still have my subscriptions to these lists
> set on nomail, till I get back to my broadband and can handle them,
> please copy any responses direct to me at Lserv.com.TIA!
>
> 	 The One And Only Apple Interface (OAOAI) may be true
> apostolic and salvation-bringing to those adept in the ilk, so that
> they imagine it 'natural', 'easy', and even (God save the mark!)
> 'intuitive' because they're so used to it -- but it's a howling
> desert to me.

Fred Laxton

InfoTechDesign.net - Classic Web Design & Hosting
http://infotechdesign.net

My contact information:
http://infotechdesign.net/my_contact_information.htm