From Text login to graphical

Greg Dougherty yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Tue, 21 Jan 2003 18:36:18 -0800

Ok,

After much torture, i now have YDL 2.3 installed on my computer.  I have two
monitors, a ViewSonic GS815, and a ViewSonic G810.  YDL doesn't know about the
GS815 (which is too bad, because it's my "main" monitor), but, through the magic
of fiddling with cables and the Monitors Control Panel, I know have YDL coming
up in text mode on my G810 (which was in the list of monitors when I set it up).

So, I told YDL to use the monitor in 1152 x 8?2 x 75Hz, that being the closest I
could find to my normal setting of 1152 x 870 x 75 Hz.  I also told it to do the
text login (I've had a hell of a time when installing it to default to
graphics).

So, now that I have it logging me in fine, how do I get kde or gnome up?  I
tried logging in as root and then typing "xconfigure", that didn't work.  What
does work?

TIA,

Greg