Wallstreet Install . . . HELP!

Ray Lacgalvs yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Sat, 25 Jan 2003 14:24:17 +1000

Just installed ydl on my iBook & seems ok after some incompetent fiddling on
my part.
I am by no means informed on this subject but I used the notes from the ydl
online class (excerpt below) to sort the monitor settings.
After a bit of fiddling all seems to be well.
There is a "failsafe" option somewhere in the setup you can use if
necessary.
hope this helps.

regards, ray.

MAC-ON-LINUX
Mac-on-Linux (MOL) requires minor setup. From within KDE or Gnome launch a
shell (In KDE, K menu --> System --> shell).
To configure MOL's video settings, run:

su [ENTER](enter password)
molvconfig [ENTER]
Select the appropriate monitor settings. If you do not have an iBook or
Titanium PowerBook, use "fb.modes". Select the monitor resolution and
refresh rate that you believe is correct. If you see RED, press the "y" key,
and the same for BLUE and GREEN. If you see only BLACK, press the "n" key
until you return to the command line and then select another resolution
until you find one that enables RED, BLUE, and GREEN. If you want to go back
and try again, simply run 'molvconfig' again and opt to delete the previous
settings.
Finally, you must edit the file /etc/molrc:

pico /etc/molrc [ENTER]
CONTROL-W [ENTER]
48 [ENTER]
(searches the text for the number '48')
... and change the amount of RAM to something greater than '48' but lesss
than the physical amount installed in your computer, such as '128'.

CONTROL-W [ENTER]
/dev/hda/ [ENTER]
... and modify the /dev/hda/ to be more specific, pointing directly to the
partition that contains Mac OS, such as /dev/hda7/. This will keep the boot
partition from being damaged by MOL. Change '-ro' to "'-rw' for each drive
partition that you want to have read/write while using MOL.
Instructions for using 'pico' are presented on the bottom of the screen.
MOL can run with KDE or Gnome, if launched from a GUI terminal. To run full
screen, switch to terminal 2 (OPTION-APPLE-F2), login as root, and then:

startmol [ENTER]
If you have any difficulties visit www.maconlinux.org.

ENGINEERS'  NOTES

*    Original iBooks: may not function with accelerated video. During
monitor setup, select non-accelerated; or post-installation, from the
command line, login as root and then:

/usr/lib/yi/dexter.py [ENTER]