Is it worth it?

Gregory Allen-Anderson yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Fri, 24 Jan 2003 10:43:21 -0500 (EST)

I don't even qualify as a newbie, still a wannabe!  I am considering installing linux on my IMac 500 with 512 ram slot loading (anything else important for you to know?)

I have been playing with KDE and Gnome and related apps under Darwin, and most of them work fairly well, but they are awfully slow.  Even browsing the web seems very slow compared to OSX (and thats no speed demon on a G3).  I assume this is partly because I am running the unix gui on top of OSX.

I am not a programmer, don't want to be, but do like playing around with things now and then.  So two questions before I reformat my drive.

Is this sluggishness not present when running under linux?

Is it stable enough to work out of the box?  I want to twiddle with it because I want to not because I have to, and frequently I have to do work on the computer, and at those times need it to work period no fussing.

Thanks!