... apt ... from behind firewall???

B. Charles Reynolds yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Sat, 25 Jan 2003 21:52:51 -0900

On Wednesday, January 22, 2003, at 12:27 PM, Bill Hughes wrote:

> Anyone know how to configure "apt" to connect from a firewall/proxy???
>
> I've set the "web-browsing" Proxy (also ftp) ports and can surf
> etc..., will apt just work the same???

It should just work the same (see below)

I don't know precisely which tcp/udp port(s) apt uses, but you need to
configure your _firewall_ to allow the traffic rather than apt. I
needed no additional configuration for apt to work through my firewall
(Linux DachStein floppy distro w/NAT on 486DX100 with 16MB RAM, no HDD).

I suspect that apt does not use a proxy unless told to do so on the
command line (and I haven't seen that option) or forced through a proxy
by firewall rules. If forced through by a firewall, it should behave no
different than if it were directly exposed to the internet.

__
Charles

Interested in natural health solutions that are founded in advanced
science?
Then check out http://www.reynet.org/
E-mail: charlesreynolds@mac.com