compiling ATI driver

Bill Hughes yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Tue, 28 Jan 2003 17:10:24 -0500

Good luck in getting anyone here to help you with this issue. I've posted quite a few times about similar problems with my PPC 9500 (XLR8 G3/500) w/ATI Radeon [PCI]) and no one has ever replied to my question. I too am only seeing the fbdev driver.
I don't know enough about Linux and compiling code to know exactly what you did when you ".I opened it in pico and found the libraries it requires, and tried to
compile it after reading the man gcc pages. I got an error message that it
could not find one of the files it requires, video/fbcon.h. I could locate
it, and I opened it in pico, so I know it's real.", but you're FAR ahead of me getting 1024x768 8bit video.

I've only hit twice, and the video only shows up on the left half of my screen, or won't at all with anything other than 640x480 (using the "Generic SVGA driver- when running "/usr/lib/yi/dexter.py" ). I tried altering the profile once I had finaly gotten to KDE, but upon restarting X, no dice whatsoever.

So far, the only concrete info that I can offer, is to downgrade to YDL 2.2, as it seems this is the only way to get "OldWorld" Macs to run YDL stable.

I wish YDL would at least give us a new XFree86 rpm to so if maybe this issue with ATI/PCI cards on "OldWorld" Macs is resolved, but I'm not holding my breath.

Only other alternative I've thought about, is just trying another Distro of Linux for PPC.

Good Luck, and please email me if you get this resolved, as I really like that YDL is based off of Red Hat (Which I've tinkered with on x86, but there are major differences as far as initial setup goes), but it is useless to me until I learn the command-line, and that in and of itself, is a project all it's own.

>>From: Scott Alan Burch <scottb@accom.com>
Subject: compiling ATI driver

I got YDL 2.3 installed over the weekend on a 9600 with a Powerlogix ZIF/G3
500 chip, which I believe is really running at 333mhz or so ...

I could only get the X configuration to see "fbdev" as a driver for my ATI
card. Consequently, I am running KDE at 1024x768 @ 8bits. I tried to use
the other ATI driver choices, but they did not work. In looking around the
directories, I did find what I am guessing is an uncompiled driver for the
ATI Mach64 GX card I have; it has a .c extension.

I opened it in pico and found the libraries it requires, and tried to
compile it after reading the man gcc pages. I got an error message that it
could not find one of the files it requires, video/fbcon.h. I could locate
it, and I opened it in pico, so I know it's real.

So I guess I have two questions:
Do I have to compile this code to make the driver for my card?
What can I do to make gcc see this file?

thanks  ##  scott

I made conscience decision in a "semi-conscious" state