compiling ATI driver

Scott Alan Burch yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Tue, 28 Jan 2003 16:57:22 -0600

I have also posted this same question to LinuxQuestions.org -- check out
the newbie section there.

The dexter.py application was useless as was "failsafe" because it did not
change the driver from "aty" -- which doesn't work -- to "fbdev", which
does. I fired up my text editor "pico" and I wound up commenting out every
last mode line in XF86Config-4. I made sure the "Device" section had
"fbdev" as the driver. I changed the "Screen" section DefaultDepth to 8. I
changed the "Display" subsections for Depth 8, 15 and 16 to each read Modes
"1024x768" ; and changed the ViewPort and Virtual lines to each read "0 0".
[I found out through trial and error that the ViewPort and Virtual lines
must read that way or the desktop becomes bigger than you can view and your
mouse pushes out the edge of the screen. Very annoying.]

I thought about trying another distro but for Old World Macs, NetBSD
<www.netbsd.org> seems to be about it because they don't seem to have an
issue with CPU cards. I looked into it and decided not to try when I read
about the Open Firmware requirements.

YDL is stable for me on 2.4; it's just aggravating when I know there's a
better driver and I can't use it to get to 24 bit video.

##  scott