compiling ATI driver part II

Markus Deistler yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
29 Jan 2003 02:37:30 +0000

Hi,

On Tue 2003-01-28 um 22.57 Scott Alan Burch wrote:
> The dexter.py application was useless as was "failsafe" because it did not
> change the driver from "aty" -- which doesn't work -- to "fbdev", which
                         ^^^^^
Typo?? 'atyfb' is the thing to put to your kernel-command video options
at startup for console-video, but 'ati' has to be put to XF86-Config-4
if the Xserver's atidriver-module is supposed to be used...

> "fbdev" as the driver. I changed the "Screen" section DefaultDepth to 8. I

Try DefaultDepth 15, got at least 16-bit-colors with 'fbdev' here ...;

> I thought about trying another distro but for Old World Macs, NetBSD

It's not the distro that sucks, it is XF4.x's lack of support for
ancient Mac-video-hardware. I guess most current distros will just come
with XF4.2 or XF4.3, so trying different distros might not help at all.
Xpmac might help you...see my other posting ...;

Markus