New Install - need to break up UserSpace partition for /, /boot

Ray Lacgalvs yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Wed, 29 Jan 2003 11:27:45 +1000

These notes come from http://www.linux.org/ online classes.
Hope they help, but be aware that without backing up your data it will be
lost.

Single Drive: Multi-Boot System with either BootX or yaboot

You are now going to use Apple's Drive Setup application to format and
partition your drive. Please note that this procedure completely reformats
and DESTROYS ALL DATA on your drive.

1.    Insert the Mac OS Software Install CD.
2.    Restart your computer.
3.    Hold the "C" key until you have booted from the Mac OS Software
Install CD (you will see a repetition of CDs as the background image).
4.    Double-click on the Install CD. Double-click on the Utilities folder.
Double-click the utility Drive Setup.*
5.    Select the drive you wish to partition.
6.    Select Initialize.
7.    Select Custom Setup.
8.    Where the pull-down menu displays "Partitioning Scheme" select 2 or 3
partitions. If you are to install YDL + Mac OS 9, select 2. And if you are
to install YDL + Mac OS 9 + Mac OS X, select 3 partitions.
9.    Select the first (top) partition and where the pull-down menu displays
"Mac OS Extended", select "unallocated". Select the second (bottom)
partition and then "Mac OS Standard".** If you are to install Mac OS X, the
3rd and last partition should be formatted as "Mac OS Extended".
10.    Select Ok.
11.    Select Initialize.
12.    Quit the Drive Setup utility.
13.    Double click on Mac OS Installer.
14.    Rename the 2nd partition to "Mac OS 9". If you are to install Mac OS
X, the 3rd partition may be renamed "Mac OS X".
15.    Install Mac OS 9 and/or Mac OS X according to the on-screen
instructions.

--
regards, ray.