re; How much RAM? .....

Longman, Bill yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Tue, 1 Jul 2003 09:08:16 -0700

> no, the expectation is that if you are running it with that
> low amounts
> of RAM it will either be in text mode or a very, very lightweight
> window manager.
>
> --micah
>
> On Monday, June 30, 2003, at 08:39 PM, Grant wrote:
>
> > Wow, I see people running YDL with 48 and 96 megs.  Maybe
> in text mode?
> > I have an admittedly lethargic PowerMac/Performa 6400/180,
> with 104MB,
> > and in
> > KDE, its slooooooowwwwww.  Like 5-10 times slower than OS
> 8.6.  Almost
> > unusable.
> >
> > Is it me?

Exactly, Micah! Trying to load all the poop of KDE even on my 2GHz P4 takes
a long time. I use BlackBox since it's really lite and does what I need it
to do....and nothing more. If you can't get X to run even in 32MB, there's
something wrong. You just have to tame the code bloat everyone is so fond
of. Also, there's lots of services I don't start. Liberally dispose of
unnecessary startup processes with chkconfig. I have no need for sound, so
all those umpteen kernel modules that gobble up RAM aren't loaded, either.