data partition

Madhusudan Katti yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Tue, 01 Jul 2003 15:38:41 -0700

--Boundary_(ID_JmJ4X4TO6RoEbegBXztQZQ)

On the Mac side:

Mac OS Standard = hfs
Mac OS Extended = hfs+

And then there are the other options, including Unallocated, and Unix
variants.

Madhu

On Tuesday, Jul 1, 2003, at 15:28 America/Phoenix, Jason Stevens wrote:

> Ron,
>
> I'm glad you're still working on this. I've already partitioned my
> drive
> to try to share a volume between OS X and YDL, and am just now getting
> into the nitty gritty. I did not manage to find a way to save the OS X
> installation, so I just reformatted. Disk Druid did not offer a way to
> resize the OS X partition, so I didn't venture any further with that.
>
> Anyway, using my OS X installation CDs, I created a Mac OS Extended
> partition and installed OS X on it. I created a large Mac OS Extended
> partition for use in sharing files between Mac and Linux. Finally, I
> created a Free Space partition for Linux and installed YDL on it.
>
> Here's where things stand at the moment: I can't seem to access the
> large volume I created from YDL (even without MOL running). It is
> recognized as /dev/hda3, but I can't mount it.
>
> Do I need to set a mount point for this volume in YDL and assign
> user-level read/write permissions to it before I can access it in YDL?
> Or was Mac OS Extended perhaps the wrong format to choose (HFS+, per
> se,
> is not an option--I think the only options are Mac OS Standard, Mac OS
> Extended, Free Space, and UNIX)?
>
> I'll keep working on this, but I'll look forward to receiving any
> suggestions you might have for now.
>
> Thanks again,
>
> Jason
>
> On Tue, 2003-07-01 at 23:47, Ron Smith wrote:
> > That is a good question. I set up the partition when I prepared the
> > drive for the initial installation of YDL. You can definitely do it
> if
> > you are willing to reinstall OS X, but there may be a utility that
> will
> > allow you to "stretch" or "shrink" an existing partition (and keep
> the
> > existing OS X install), but I have not been able to find one. If you
> > manage to figure this out how to add a shared partition without
> > damaging OS X or Linux, please let me know and I will include it with
> > the instructions I hope to write before the end of the week.
> >
> > Thanks for the suggestion/encouragement to write some instructions.
> =)
> >
> > -Ron
> >
> > On Monday, June 30, 2003, at 04:23 PM, Jason Stevens wrote:
> >
> > > Since I don't have such a "shared" partition now, is it necessary
> > > create it within OS X (and therefore lose the current OS X
> > > installation), or can it be done within YDL?

--Boundary_(ID_JmJ4X4TO6RoEbegBXztQZQ)

On the Mac side:

Mac OS Standard = hfs

Mac OS Extended = hfs+

And then there are the other options, including Unallocated, and Unix
variants.

Madhu

On Tuesday, Jul 1, 2003, at 15:28 America/Phoenix, Jason Stevens wrote:

<smaller>I'm glad you're still working on this. I've already
partitioned my drive

to try to share a volume between OS X and YDL, and am just now getting

into the nitty gritty. I did not manage to find a way to save the OS X

installation, so I just reformatted. Disk Druid did not offer a way to

resize the OS X partition, so I didn't venture any further with that.</smaller>

<smaller>Anyway, using my OS X installation CDs, I created a Mac OS
Extended

partition and installed OS X on it. I created a large Mac OS Extended

partition for use in sharing files between Mac and Linux. Finally, I

created a Free Space partition for Linux and installed YDL on it.</smaller>

<smaller>Here's where things stand at the moment: I can't seem to
access the

large volume I created from YDL (even without MOL running). It is

recognized as /dev/hda3, but I can't mount it.</smaller>

<smaller>Do I need to set a mount point for this volume in YDL and
assign

user-level read/write permissions to it before I can access it in YDL?

Or was Mac OS Extended perhaps the wrong format to choose (HFS+, per
se,

is not an option--I think the only options are Mac OS Standard, Mac OS

Extended, Free Space, and UNIX)?</smaller>

<smaller>I'll keep working on this, but I'll look forward to receiving
any

suggestions you might have for now.</smaller>

<smaller>Thanks again,</smaller>

<smaller>Jason</smaller>