Can't share "/mnt/volume"

Longman, Bill yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Thu, 3 Jul 2003 08:41:39 -0700

> Your points are very informative and I see what you are saying. It is
> very logical and also what I figured. Although I did try changing
> permissions on "/mnt/<directory>", I was not aware of the
> added "users"
> option within "fstab". However, even after trying the "fstab" changes
> (adding the "users" option), it still does not work. I just don't get
> it. This has got be easier than this. In my case, the mount path is
> "/mnt/Stuff". "/mnt/Stuff" already exists. I created the "Stuff"
> directory myself. It is the same name that the volume I am trying to
> mount is named. That volume is located on "/dev/hda2". Is that the
> problem? The fact that the volume in question resides before my YDL
> install volume?
> Any ideas?

Can you send a transcript of the errors you are getting? You could show the
pertainent error messages from the dmesg command. There might be something
in there that would give us details about the error you are receiving at
boot time. Also, look through the /var/log/messages. It usually has a tidbit
or two.

I'm assuming that the mount command is working correctly. Is it just that
you can't get to the files once it's mounted? Please show what the directory
permissions look like once it's mounted. Of course, you need at least 111 to
even traverse the directory. In other words, you ought to see at least
"d--x--x--x" in the permissions. If you have "drw-rw-r--", then you would
certainly experience the problems you have described.