Can't open root device error -- PCP210 and YDL3

Christopher Vargas yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Sun, 6 Jul 2003 12:16:26 -0400

Trying to get a few more miles out of my old PowerCenter Pro 210 (with
XLR8 400 MHz G3 upgrade card) by installing YDL3 on it. It seems I'm
almost there but just can't get it to boot after installation. Hoping
someone can help.

I'm following the directions to the letter (I think), with the
exception of not being able to use Drive Setup, since my big 4GB
Western Digital drive is not recognized as being an Apple drive (and as
far as I can tell, I can't use the ResEdit hack on Drive Setup for this
drive). I used SilverLining instead, made a 1GB partition for MacOS 9,
and left 3GB unallocated for the YDL installer to use.

Did all the BootX setup as described, rebooted with YDL3 disc 1, let
the installer partition things on its own. It makes a swap and root
partition, with root at /dev/sda5 and swap at /dev/sda7 (the Mac OS 9
partition is /dev/sda6). Installation proceeds normally.

When I reboot I set BootX to the appropriate kernel and turn off RAM
disk, and set boot to /dev/sda5. I click Linux, a bunch of CLI stuff
scrolls across the screen and then I get the following:

VFS: Cannot open root device "sda5" or 08:05
Kernal panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on 08:05
Rebooting in 180 seconds

I'm at a loss for what to do now. Any help would be appreciated. I'm
subscribed to the digest so if possible, email me directly at
cv@chrisandmaria.com as well as to the list. Thanks very much.