Powerbook YDL 3.0 resolution gone bad?

john gardiner yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Wed, 9 Jul 2003 11:07:03 +0100

I installed YDL 3.0 on a G3 233 Powerbook - first contact with Linux,
having never in fact even seen another machine running it! Anyway, the
installation was fine, and running fine for a while.

After several weeks of fine use the screen resolution has gone bad. It
has dropped to 640x480 and so is very fuzzy and so on. Windows are all
enormous as they seem to think they are still on a 1024x768 screen.

What I did was:

1. Monitors > reselected 1024x768 and hit OK. Told me it had writtne
the new config to etc/XF86Config and to reboot so I did - no change,
still fuzzy

2. So I went back in and the monitors info had slipped back to 640x480.
I tried a few other things - I used Advanced and manually entered the
screen size, and reset to 1024x768....still no joy. I configured the
Monitor to Apple. It seems to see the correct video card anyway.

3. As it had told me the new config was saved to etc/XF86Config and the
old one (I guessed this was therefore the backup) was saved to
etc/XF86Config.backup, I went in as root and removed
etc/XF86Config.backup, leaving what it told me was the etc/XF86Config
file with the new config (ie 1024x768). Rebooted - still no change and
it was again back at 640x480...

Strangely, during the boot up process when the mac OS9 smiley comes up,
it is clear this is running at 1024x768, as i is when the boot up Linux
text scrolls by...but once it gets to the graphical part of Linux start
up...it's fuzzy.

It is so fuzzy as to now be unusable for more than a few minutes
without going boggly eyed.

Any ideas?

Also there is one other thing I have struggled to figure out, but is
doubtless easy?

I have got it connect to a LAN via ethernet and mail and browsers etc
all configured and work OK. But I want to see other computers
(particularly OSX boxes) to share files with.

'LAN browser' under Linux, says "error occurred while loading
lan:/....unable to create io-slave...."

I am guessing there is some obvious tweak I have not understood
here...anyone help?

Thanks

John