Web Proxy / Firewall

Susan Treglia yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Thu, 31 Jul 2003 17:00:00 -0400

Hi,

I am completely new to Linux, never even touched it, but have heard only
great things. What I need to know is if YDL when I eventually load it onto a
Powermac G4...If I could use it as a web proxy / firewall. It would go like
so:
ISP ---> DSL (router) ---> YDL (web proxy/firewall) --> LAN (all on 1 subnet
(windows, macs and printers). I need the option to FTP outbound and
inbound..MSN messenger and AIM, and of course the internet and email.
In a windows environment it would be one pc hooked to the router with ISA
($5,999) and 2000 Server ($800) loaded on. And i'm assuming clients will
connect to it by internet connection sharing. I want to run away from
windows.
This will be my first of many questions if i decide to go with YDL.
Thanks and appreciative for any help or advice.

Sue