newbie 3.5 floppy disk drive mount

Longman, Bill yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Mon, 2 Jun 2003 09:56:51 -0700

> El s=E1b, 31 de 05 de 2003 a las 13:01,
> yellowdog-newbie-request@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com escribi=F3:
>=20
> > What do I do to mount a floppy?
>=20
> First, what kind of floppy do you have ?, I'll presume that=20
> you have an
> USB one, so make your mount point like: /mnt/floppy
>=20
> When you connect an USB device like a floppy drive it's mapped to the
> first free SCSI device (or at least that's what I think,=20
> please some one
> correct me if I'm wrong...), that's why the place to look for=20
> your mount
> point it's /dev/sda
> >=20
> > mdir shows the contents, but how do I mount it?
> >=20
> > I have a clean install of ydl 3.0 with the default
> > fstab and mtab
> >=20
> > [david@194 david]$ mount /dev/fd0
> > mount: can't find /dev/fd0 in /etc/fstab or /etc/mtab
> > [david@194 david]$
>=20
> Next let's mount your device by put:=20
>=20
> mount -t iso9660 /dev/sda /mnt/floppy
>=20
> 	Type     Device	   Mount point

Chances are slim that you have an iso9660 filesystem on your floppy =
disk.
That is the filesystem for CD's.

The mount command needs two arguments, if you are running it from the
command line AND you don't have an entry for the device or mount point =
in
the /etc/fstab file. Here's the deal:

As you get older you get lazier and lazier. I don't like to type all =
day. I
just want my floppy mounted:

"mount /dev/fd0" will work if you have told the /etc/fstab file where =
that
device should mount in your tree. Otherwise, you'll have to tell it =
where
you want that device mounted a la: "mount /dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy". This =
also
assumes that you have a directory /mnt/floppy where the mount can take
place.

Say you have a disk in your system that, once mounted, is found at
/mnt/secure. Let's say, for argument's sake, that its usually NEVER =
mounted,
though. But when you do want it mounted, you don't want to hack out =
"mount
/dev/hdc1 /mnt/secure" risking fat-fingering the command and never
remembering if it's on hdc1 or hdb2. YOU JUST WANT /mnt/secure MOUNTED! =
So
just use "mount /mnt/secure" and Bob's your uncle. Again, though, the =
caveat
is that you have to put entries in /etc/fstab to let mount figure this =
out.

Bill