A few questions

Longman, Bill yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Mon, 2 Jun 2003 10:21:06 -0700

> 3.  How do I go about setting up myself so I do not have to
> put in the root
> password?  I don't want to change it for every thing as I
> know some things
> should just be done with root.  What I want to change are
> those things such
> as kppp.  I do not want to have to enter the root password
> each time I launch
> this application.

Use sudo!

It's the best.

You'll need to be superuser to begin with but su first and then use visudo
to edit the sudoers file. It's easiest to just copy the existing line for
root and put your name there instead.

Here's an example from mine:

root	ALL=(ALL) ALL
bill	ALL=(ALL) ALL

If you are extremely secure and pick good passwords for yourself, you might
also want to try this:

Defaults:bill	!authenticate

Put that line (with your username of course) above the other commands and
you won't have to enter YOUR password every time you use sudo. AGAIN, UNLESS
YOU PRACTICE, PREACH AND PROSELYTIZE STRICT SECURITY, THIS IS A DANGEROUS
ENTRY.