is it possible?

Mike Murphree yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Wed, 4 Jun 2003 06:36:40 -0500

On Wednesday, June 4, 2003, at 03:26  AM, Suzanne Payne wrote:

> --On Tuesday, June 3, 2003 9:23 pm -0500 Mike Murphree
> <mike@tropo.org> wrote:
>
>> Funny but installs to 100 and 200 MB partitions failed miserably for
>> me...
>
> Don't forget, you only need a minimal OS.  After the initial boot in
> order to install BootX and attendant kernel images, it's never
> actually going to boot into MacOs again.  (Actually, it  need never
> fully boot at all, you can boot off an external device an place the
> relevant items into the system folder.) And you don't *need* 9.1
> either.  Just put the earliest system (read: smallest) on the
> computer; the one that came with it will be fine. Do a custom install.
>  You don't need network, you don't need translators, you don't need
> printing.  You don't need all those Apple Extras folders. Start up in
> safe mode and see what isn't used....you don't actually need any of
> those items in order to boot the machine enough to get to BootX.  As
> Bert said, it's certainly possible to make bootable Zip 100 discs
> which also contain recovery/repair software with megabytes to spare!
> And damn handy they are too! :)

This was with installing what only required to be 120 MB of disk space.
   The installer
would just die during the process.  The other issue that I ran into was
that a minimal
install really didn't work because in order to get BootX onto the
machine, I either
needed Stuffit to unpack it with either a local copy or one running on
my DP 867 MDD
and then transfer the unpacked files via network connection.

I've never thought about booting from a Zip drive, but after 3 drives
failed, I've
banned Iomega hardware from my household forever.  MO drives hold far
more and are
a lot more reliable.

Thanks for all the suggestions, but this in danger of becoming a
bikeshed, so no more
please...  Bikeshed definition is here:

http://www.unixguide.net/freebsd/faq/16.19.shtml

Thanks,