Partitioning

Bert Knabe yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Wed, 04 Jun 2003 12:54:48 -0500

On 6/4/03 8:22 AM, "Ben Donovan" <ben@toycar.net> wrote:

>=20
> I=B9m trying to set up YDL on my starmax 3000/240. I have been following th=
> instructions in the =B3companion to installing=B2 for single drive multi-boot
> systems. I left the first partition unallocated and the second HFS.
>=20
> After installing bootX and restarting to the installer I tried to partiti=
on
> the disk using the disk druid option, but I couldn=B9t seem to make an =B3App=
le
> bootstrap=B2  partition. If I expand the =B3File system type menu I get the
> options =B3ext2=B2, =B3ext3=B2 and =B3swap=B2.
>=20
> I couldn=B9t figure out how to do it this way so I went back and used the
> automatic partitioning using the free space. But I don=B9t think this creat=
ed
> a bootstrap partition either. The installer then ran, but it wouldn=B9t boo=
> after that, probably because I couldn=B9t point bootX to the boot partition
> because there wasn=B9t one.
>=20
> Any Ideas?

I have a Starmax 3000/180 upgraded to a 320mhz G3 (but I have multiple
HD's). Use Apples Drive Setup to make your initial partitions. If you don't
want to use MacOS except to boot into Linux, make a 100 meg (give or take)
hfs partition and 1 linux partition with the rest. Then install a custom
minimal MacOS on the 100 meg partition. Install Linux following the
instructions.

If you don't have 160 megs of RAM (the max) on your Starmax, I'd recommend
getting it - 64 meg sticks for Starmax can be found for around $25 - and I'=
also recommend getting a G3 upgrade (can be had for $130 or less). Linux is
slooooow on a stock Starmax. I'm sure it will be faster on your machine tha=
on mine, but I don't think it will be that much faster.

Bert=20