YDL Cant use created logins after install

Longman, Bill yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Mon, 9 Jun 2003 10:14:25 -0700

> I had the same problem , on TWO different Macs, an iMac DV
> using the text
> based installer and the GUI installer on an iBook2 12.
> Installs great but no users.
> So..... when you are installing , just create your root
> password then when
> the install is done, login as root, goto the system tools GUI
> , users &
> groups and create a user for yourself. Log out and log back
> in as your new
> user. FYI whenever I logged out of root on the iMac DV, then
> screen would
> just go black, but a forced reboot showed my new user still
> was there to log
> in as .

You can use a lifeline when you are logged in as root for the first time.
Just use Alt-F2 to switch to another login prompt and then you can test the
new account before you log out of the root session.

Also, a really fast way of adding a new account is with the useradd command.
It's way too easy to use:

useradd -c "Joebob User" joebob

This takes about a tenth the time it takes to log into the GUI and setup
accounts.