YDL 3.0 Install on ppc 604e

Madhusudan Katti yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Mon, 09 Jun 2003 10:38:00 -0700

To run the YDL 3.0 installer CD, you need to have copied the ramdisk=20
image from the CD to the system folder in the hard drive. And likewise=20=

the Linux Kernels folder. If you've got those in place on the HD, then=20=

within BootX, click on prefs and select the ramdisk image, and then the=20=

boot kernel (i.e., the vmlinux file with "boot" in its name) from the=20
popup menu for kernels. I'm basically repeating stuff that is in the=20
guide to installation - so I'm not sure if this is redundant for you=20
and maybe I'm missing something else about your setup.

Madhu

On Monday, Jun 9, 2003, at 10:02 America/Phoenix, <MoC888@aol.com>=20
wrote:

> I've got bootx running.=A0 What you say makes perfect sense, and I'll=20=

> probably try it, but how do I get bootx to run the CD once it's=20
> working?=A0 When I hit the linux button it tries to load Linux from a=20=

> kernal, but where the OS doesn't exist. (I have the kernal working)
> Any help?
> Thanx,
> ES
>
> I think you can get away with using mac os 7.6 (which was probably the
> original os on the 7300) in a small partition to run BootX. And I
> believe 7.6 is available for downloads on apple's websites. That way
> you can download it legally and get what you need.
>
> hope that helps,
>
> Madhu
>
> On Monday, Jun 9, 2003, at 09:07 America/Phoenix, <MoC888@aol.com>
> wrote:
>
> >=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0 I've got a PowerMac 7300/180.=A0 I'm fairly new =
to linux, only
> > having
> > used Mandrake 9.1/8.2 on x86 for a month now.=A0 I can't get the =
Bootx
> > thingy
> > quite figured out.=A0 I want to install YDL 3.0 on a 2 gig HD that
> > currently has Mac
> > OS 8.1.=A0 I have no unpartitioned HD space, and I can't reinstall =
OS=20