Audio CD Sound Problem

Sakari Aaltonen yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Mon, 9 Jun 2003 21:17:32 +0200 (EET)

On Mon, 9 Jun 2003, Mike Murphree wrote:

> On Monday, June 9, 2003, at 02:04  AM, Sakari Aaltonen wrote:
>
> I'm relatively new to running KDE on the PowerPC platform, but
> on x86 systems, most of the KDE apps require that the sound
> server daemon "artsd" in order for the sound to work.  The KDE
> Control Panel is the place to check to see if it is enabled and
> use "ps -ax | grep "artsd"" to verify that it didn't abort itself.

I found a note on the Yellow Dog pages that Sound I/O should be set
to 8 bits (instead of 16). I did this, but KsCD remained silent. On
the other hand, there was a change as regards xmms. That application,
too, is silent now. (It lists three possible problems, none of which
I know how to fix.)

And yes, artsd is running.

I'm completely clueless. At one time, when I tried to look at
the arts status, it said things were not well and asked whether some-
thing called 'artswrapper' was suid root. It wasn't and I changed
it (to suid root). It didnt't help, though.

KsCD is starting to look like a lost cause.

Sakari Aaltonen