Audio CD Sound Problem

Mike Murphree yellowdog-newbie@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Mon, 9 Jun 2003 06:29:42 -0500

On Monday, June 9, 2003, at 02:04  AM, Sakari Aaltonen wrote:

> I posted some time ago, complaining that playing audio CD's produced
> no sound, although all sound tests etc. succeeded, and there were no
> warnings or errors from KsCD.
>
> Now I had the idea of trying xmms (instead of KsCD), and, lo and
> behold, the sound was OK. However, this only happens if I'm root.
> To an ordinary user, xmms outputs the message
>
> mcop warning: user defined signal handler found for SIG_PIPE,
> overriding
>
> There is sound in this case, too, but it's just noise.
>
> Note that KsCD is silent even when started by root.
>
> Can anybody help? The machine is an iBook 2.2 with YDL 3.0 (Sirius).

I'm relatively new to running KDE on the PowerPC platform, but
on x86 systems, most of the KDE apps require that the sound
server daemon "artsd" in order for the sound to work.  The KDE
Control Panel is the place to check to see if it is enabled and
use "ps -ax | grep "artsd"" to verify that it didn't abort itself.

Mike